The Traffic Engineering Division includes the city traffic engineer and support staff as well as the Sign and Signal Shop operations. The division is operated and managed as part of the Fargo Engineering Department.
What We Do:
- Design, operate and maintain the city's traffic signal system
- Install and maintain all regulatory, parking and warning signs
- Maintain street striping and pavement markings
- Conduct traffic studies
- Construction administration of traffic signals and other traffic safety improvements
- Coordinate and staff the city's Traffic Technical Advisory Committee
- Review traffic-related features of plats and long-range plans
- Coordinate federal aid for transportation improvements
Major Operating Statistics:
- Maintain striping and pavement markings on over 300 miles of streets
- Maintain approximately 23,000 signs
- Operate 170 traffic signals and school/pedestrian flashers
Dark Traffic Signal Intersections to be Treated as "all-way" Stops
The City of Fargo would like to remind drivers that when traffic signals are “dark” North Dakota State Law requires that intersections are treated as all-way stops. A “dark” intersection is any signalized intersection where the indications (red, yellow and green lights) are not lit. This provision, North Dakota Century Code, Section 39-10-22, exists to ensure traffic can flow safely even when signals are dark. Drivers are asked to share this important safety message with family, friends and co-workers.