Skip navigation
 
 

Early Fire Department History

 Yerxa Hose Company

Members of the Yerxa Hose Company.


1874

Sept. 22 - At 7:30 a.m., Headquarters Hotel was destroyed by fire which started in the kitchen.

1875

April 5 - City government was organized.

April 12 - Barney Griffin and L. Corwall appointed fire wardens.

1876

Dec. 15 - Erickson's Meat Market, located at Front Street and 5th Street, lost to fire which began at midnight. At least 10 buildings were destroyed, with loss estimated to be $12,000.

1877

Nov. 20 - First fire ordinance passed.

Dec. 29 - Hook and ladder rig purchased, and the Pioneer Fire Company was recognized by the City Council. This was the first volunteer fire company, and it was not officially organized at this time.

1879

Dec. 18 - Richter Drug Store Fire. Hook and Ladder Company Number One Hard was organized.

1880

May 3 - John Haggart appointed chief of the consolidated fire companies.

May 16 - Fargo Mill at Eighth Street and Main Avenue destroyed by fire.

May 18 - Pioneer Fire Company was now organized. It was renamed the Continental Hose Company #1 and was chartered along with the Number One Hard Company.

August - Water Works established.

1881

M.A. Brewer of Number One Hards was appointed chief.

First hose house was built on Broadway by NP tracks, later the site of the Red River National Bank. Headquarters Fire Hall was built at NP Avenue and Roberts Street. Another one was built at Front Street and 5th Street, directly across Front Street from where Fargo Fire of 1893 is to start.

St. Paul-Minneapolis & Manitoba Railroad reaches Fargo; later called Great Northern Railroad.

1882

Feb. 10 - Fire bell was installed at NP Avenue fire hall.

Protective Fire Patrol was organized and were also known as Kisser's Kids.

April - First serious flood occurred, temporarily knocking out the water plant located east of Island Park.

June 12 - Fire on steamer H.W. Alsop, which operated on Red River. The fire began between 10 and
11 a.m. and started from the smokestack. Loss estimates were $2,000.

Kenney Building (N.E. corner of Broadway and 2nd Avenue North) was constructed with built-in fire fighting equipment--hose reels connected to water works.

History - Part 2