January 19, 2010 Minutes
Board of Trustees
Fargo Public Library
Minutes of January 19, 2010
Present: Herb Snyder, Richard Zeck, John Dietz, Suzanne Morrison, James Council, Dawn Morgan, Helen Levitt
Others: Jan Murphy, Friends of FPL Representative, Lawrence D. Moll
Staff: Tim Dirks, Steve Hubbard, Ginny Mueller
The meeting was called to order by President, Herb Snyder.
Order of Agenda
John Dietz moved to approve the order of the agenda; seconded by James Council; motion carried.
Motion was made by Suzanne Morrison to approve the minutes of the November 17, 2009 Regular Meeting; seconded by James Council; motion carried.
In Greg Gilstrap’s absence, Steve Hubbard provided the report on recent activities:
• A children’s movie, Monsters vs. Aliens, was shown the day after Thanksgiving, with 24 people attending. Two other movies were shown during the school’s Christmas break with 105 people attending.
• Over 100 people participated in Trim the Tree, which was held at all three branches.
• We’ve had a good response to our monthly Therapy Pets program.
• We have started Fargo Force Story Time, where hockey players come in and read stories to kids and then do a craft together. 14 kids attended this month. Story Times were held at Jefferson Elementary School and Fraser Group Home this month and the YMCA was onsite for a story time and tour. We are starting something new this month – Family Story Time. This will be a monthly story time for families at Main and Carlson.
• We sponsored a new and fun program during winter break – Lego Mania. Children created their own masterpieces made out of legos, which were displayed for 2 hours and judged. Toys-R-Us gift cards were presented to the winners. Over 80 people attended the program.
• An anime double feature was presented at the end of December with 11 in attendance.
• Magnetic poetry craft will be held this Saturday with several teens already registered.
• Holiday greeting card craft was held at both Main and Carlson in December
• December movie at Carlson attracted about 10 teens
• Gaming in December fell on well below zero days, and therefore there was low turn-out.
Upcoming events are:
• Children, Teen and Adult Winter Read-a-Thons are under way
• Story Time registration starts on January 25th.
• Northport Classic Book Club will meet Wednesday, January 20th to discuss Charles Dickens’ “Tale of Two Cities.”
• The Unraveled Crafters will be meeting at the Carlson Branch on Saturday, January 24th.
• Miss North Dakota USA Taylor Kearns will read from her favorite books on Thursday, January 21st at a special Story Time.
• The movie, “GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra” will be shown at our Carlson Branch on January 21st for teens.
• Computer classes continue to be well attended and are being held at both Main and Carlson.
Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report. As to his meeting with the Directors of West Fargo and Lake Agassiz Libraries, Tim explained that they are researching the idea of collaborating for additional professional development for staff.
Phone interviews have been conducted for the Reference Librarian position. On-site interviews will be conducted the middle of February.
End of Year Usage
Program attendance, volunteer hours, internet signup and web page hits are all up compared to 2008. Total circulation increased over 18% over 2008. Tim also distributed a Circulation Comparison between 2005 (prior to building projects and branches) and 2009. Overall, there were approximately 185,613 more items circulated in 2009 as during the same period in 2005.
End of Year Financials
There is a balance of $15,593 in our Special Projects Fund, due in large part to the gifts of Gale Chapman and John Q Paulson at the end of 2009.
With almost 100% of 2009 expenses reported, the Library spent 97.32% of our budgeted funds, which corresponds to over $77,000 below budget. In 2010, plans are in place to look closely at our budget quarterly to determine what, if any, surplus there may be. By looking at budgeted funds vs. expenses earlier, we are better able to utilize surplus funds with planned purchases.
Our revenue forecast for 2009 was $75,000 and we surpassed that with a total of over $88,620 being collected from fines, lost books, meeting rooms and printer/copier fees.
Friends of the Library Report
Jan Murphy reported that the Friends are buying 2 library carts for their use in the store. A check in the amount of $5850 was given to the Library as a part of obtaining the Gates Computer Grant. The Friends are looking to change the structure of managing the store.
Lawrence D Moll was present and acknowledged that he had received a response from Director Dirks regarding his request to have a no cell phone area at the Carlson Library. He read a letter in which he expressed his gratitude for having his request considered and the change the Library Board made at the Carlson Library.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 16, 2010, at 4:00 p.m. in the City Commission room.
The meeting adjourned at 4:27 p.m.