Service Policy: Naming Rights
In order to effectively leverage private resources, to provide the citizens of Fargo with the highest quality library services, and to provide citizens and organizations the opportunity to participate actively in the growth of the Fargo Public Library, the FPL Board of Directors has adopted the following policy concerning the naming of library facilities and other physical property:
- Donors may choose to sponsor a space from the Fargo Library Board of Directors’ approved list of naming opportunities. The giving levels are negotiable and are reviewed periodically.
- Donors may also contribute to the purchase of groups or individual items of furniture, sections of shelving or service desks, items for the library collection, works of art, or any other fixtures within a Fargo Public Library building.
- The Fargo Library Board of Directors reserves the right to consider donations and the naming of whole buildings per the donor on a case-by-case basis.
- Subsequent to acceptance by the Fargo Library Board of Directors, the naming of an entire library building will require the concurrence and approval of the Fargo City Commission.
- Corporations will not be allowed to purchase naming rights to a Fargo Public Library building but will be allowed to obtain them for rooms and service areas within a building or for any furnishing or fit up items in the library.
- Naming rights will only be granted for monetary and investible asset donations.
- All donors who contribute five hundred dollars or more will be recognized with a name plate or wall plaque in the library building.
- The Fargo Public Library Board of Directors reserves the right to reject donations by individuals, groups, or organizations whose views or public statements are felt to be contrary to the mission and/or best interests of the library. The Board also reserves the right to terminate or alter naming designation under unusual or extraordinary circumstances.
- Naming rights will remain in place for the normal life of the named space and/or facility.
Approved 9-20-2005; Revised 8-19-2014;