Importance of Position: Provide library materials and services to homebound individuals, and residents of congregate and nursing housing who are unable to come to the Fargo Public Library due to mental, physical, sensory or social disability.
- Submit volunteer application and agreement and sign Inquiry Release Form.
- Be 18 years of age or older and have the ability to read and write English at a 12th-grade level.
- Be able to bend, push, pull, stretch, reach and lift 40 pounds consistently.
- Ability to be sensitive, patient, understanding and respectful of clients' situation and needs.
- Willingness to be creative, flexible, enthusiastic and have a sense of humor.
- Have good communication, listening and organizational skills.
- Willingness to commit to a consistent delivery schedule.
Reports to: Outreach Librarian
- Successfully complete training program.
- Select, check out and deliver library materials to an assigned facility or client at least twice a month on a regular schedule.
- Return materials to circulation area to be checked in a shelved.
- Meet reporting requirements including monthly reports on hours of service, items delivered and materials used. If you are unable to make a delivery for any reason, notify the Outreach Librarian immediately.
Time Commitment: After initial training, 5-8 hours (for each distribution) to prepare and deliver materials, usually every other week.
Length of Commitment: Minimum one year, prefer long term
Grounds for Termination (including, but not limited to):
- Failure to successfully complete the training program
- Failure to carry out assigned responsibilities
- Breach of confidentiality
Contact Person: Pam Strait