Construction and Service Vehicle Permits
Construction Vehicle and Service Vehicle Permits
In order to park construction or service vehicles on city streets, a business must obtain either a construction permit or service vehicle permit.
Construction vehicle permits are required when a construction vehicle will be parked on a city street/avenue for more than one hour, unless loading or unloading is taking place. Any truck that is being used for repair, maintenance or construction projects on city-owned streets/avenues is exempt from having to obtain a permit.
Construction Vehicle Permit Fee
Construction vehicle permits can be obtained from the Engineering Department at a cost of $10 for a 14 day permit and an additional charge of $3 a day for anything over 14 days. Download an application to apply (PDF file).
- This permit does not allow parking in No Parking zones or any other prohibited area as set forth in the municipal code.
- This permit will allow parking a commercial vehicle and/or trailer upon public street right-of-way when boulevard or driveway access is not feasible.
- Vehicle and/or trailer must be properly licensed as required by the State of North Dakota.
- To avoid any street damage, a properly sized pad must be placed under any jack or dolly when a trailer is disconnected from the pull vehicle.
- Street parking will be allowed only if appropriate measures are taken to insure public safety, including, but not limited to, diamond grade conspicuity tape around the entire perimeter of the trailer and/or equipment. Cones shall be used in advance of any trailer or equipment when work is in progress.
- This permit does not allow parking a vehicle or trailer directly across the street from another parked vehicle or trailer.
- This permit does not allow obstruction of in-place sidewalk.
- The owner's name, company name (if any), and phone number shall be legibly indicated on any trailer or construction vehicle.
- 28-inch cones or barrels with high-intensity sheeting around the entire perimeter of the trailer and/or equipment may be substituted for the measures prescribed in subsection 5 above.
Service vehicle permits are required when service companies (such as plumbing, electrical, etc.) need to park in time zoned enforced areas in order to provide service to their customers. These vehicles must be equipped to carry tools, specialized equipment and/or materials that need to be accessible to the service person. The service person must be working on site. Note: these permits are most often required for service that is occurring in the downtown area.
Service vehicle permits may be obtained at the Department of Planning and Development. The permits will be issued after the application (pdf) has been reviewed and approved by the city. Action will take 1–2 days from the date we receive the completed application. Please note that the permit fee must be submitted with your application.
Service Vehicle Permit Policies
The following Service Vehicle policies are in effect:
- Service Vehicle Parking Permits are issued only to service companies (such as plumbing, electrical, etc.) which need to park in time zoned enforced areas in order to provide service to their customers. These vehicles must be equipped to carry tools, specialized equipment, and/or materials that need to be accessible to the service person. The service person must be working on site.
- All vehicles requesting a permit must be titled or leased to the business making the request.
- The name of the business must appear on the permitted vehicle. Either a painted business name/logo or magnetic sign will suffice. Tickets issued to a permit holder who does not have the required identification on the vehicle will not be pardoned. This requirement will be strictly enforced.
- Mis-use or unauthorized reproduction of the permit will result in revocation of the permit and the vehicle will be eligible for parking violation tickets.
- All permit denials may be appealed to the Parking Commission.
- The fee for Service Vehicle permits are $25 per month at any time in the year, but not overlapping years and;
- The Service Vehicle Permit is not valid on Broadway or within ½ block of Broadway on Avenues between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Please display permits in the rear window in the lower left corner or on the driver’s side window as visibility allows. Permits placed on the dash cannot be seen and can result in a ticket being issued. If you have any questions, please contact 241-1474.