Curbside Brush Recycling Program
This program is intended to reduce the amount of tree debris going into our landfill and to provide the city with a usable product. This program is administered by the Forestry Department. For questions, please call the Forestry Department at 241-1465.
This service begins May 1 and ends October 31. This service is provided on a weekly basis and coincides with your garbage pick-up day.
Please keep these guidelines in mind:
- Brush must be bundled and out on the boulevard by 7 a.m. on your garbage day.
- Brush/logs up to 10" in diameter will be picked up, logs longer than 10' will not be picked up.
- Separate brush from logs.
- Brush must be placed on the boulevard, preferably with the cut ends of brush pointing towards the curb.
- Stumps* and roots* will not be collected. Homeowners can haul stumps, roots or oversized logs to the landfill at no charge. The landfill requires proof of Fargo residency.
- Do not put brush in garbage cans, boxes or bags.**
- Excessively large piles of brush may take multiple weeks to remove from the boulevard. If brush piles are larger than two pickup loads, residents should contract with a commercial tree service for pick-up or haul the brush to the landfill on their own.
- This program is not intended to subsidize commercial tree service work. City crews will not pick-up any brush generated by commercial tree services; it is the responsibility of the property owner and/or tree service to dispose of the brush.
* Stumps and roots routinely hold large quantities of dirt and often have rocks embedded in the wood; we do not pick up this material as part of our curbside program in an effort to keep our equipment in proper working condition.
** We appreciate efforts to keep woody material contained in an orderly fashion, but often times items are mistakenly placed inside these containers that should not go through a chipper.