Smoked Lung Model
Activity: “Tar & Breathing: Why they Don’t Mix”
Supplies needed: 2 coffee filters, water, funnel, clear jar or beaker, blackstrap molasses or other tar-like substance
Optional lending library items: Smoked Lung Model, Lou Wheeze Smoker’s Lungs Comparison Model, Cough Up a Lung Model
Purpose: to demonstrate how an accumulation of tar can inhibit the absorption of oxygen.
1. Place the funnel in the jar or beaker and line with coffee filter.
2. Pour water through the funnel. Note how quickly the water runs through.
3. Remove the wet filter.
4. Coat another filter with molasses or other tar-like substance and place it in the funnel.
5. Pour water into the funnel. Note how slowly the water runs through.
- The filter paper represents lung tissue
- The water represents oxygen
- The molasses or tar-like substance represents tar
- Lungs coated with tar do not exchange oxygen as well as healthy lungs
Back to Tobacco Lending Library